Thursday 1 October 2009

If I told you so ....

From: Jack Kornfield, 'Living Buddhist Masters'.

*

A Western monk once asked permission of his forest teacher to journey to Burma to try the intensive meditation systems of several other well-known teachers. Permission was readily granted. After several years he returned to his first teacher.

"What did you learn?" the teacher inquired.

"Nothing," answered the monk.

"Nothing?"

"Nothing that is not already around, that was not right here before I left."

"And what have you experienced?"

"Many teachers and many meditation systems," the monk answered. "Yet, the more deeply I penetrated the Dharma, the more I realized there was no need to go anywhere else to practice."

"Ah, yes," replied his teacher. "I could have told you that before you left, but you could not have understood."

*

No comments: